Sunday, February 23, 2014

Going Green!

Juicing

With the start of the new year I became really interested in the juicing craze.  I had been researching the concept a lot and became aware of the multitude of health benefits.  I also recently watched  Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and it really made me think about what I am putting into my body daily.  While I don't think I could survive on just juice for 60 days like they did in the documentary, I did seriously consider ordering a cleanse.  That was until I realized that I could do it better myself and save a lot of money.  We actually have a juicer already and I could purchase all of the ingredients myself and make the juice to my liking.  Let me add that the thought of drinking vegetables has always kind of turned me off...the look of V-8 makes me cringe!  I use spinach often in my smoothies but aside from the color, you can't even notice it.  So I was determined to make juice that tasted good while being good for me.  I made it my personal goal to replace one meal a day with juice.  I'd say I have stuck to this about 75% of the time since January 1st.  On days I have a tough workout I might need to add a little snack with the juice to properly fuel my body, and on weekends, I don't always include the juice (weekends are tough on diets!)  But, for the most part, I think I've done pretty well!  Not to mention how healthy my hair, skin and nails have been since starting.  Keep in mind that juices are different than smoothies.  Juices are lower in calories and don't include the indigestible fiber.  This makes the nutrients more readily available to your body and can give you an energy boost due its quick delivery to the blood stream.  I still have my daily protein smoothie in the morning to get me going, and have my juice at lunch or dinner.  I've included my favorite juice blend below and I encourage all of you to give it a try if you haven't already!

Lauren's Green Machine
2 apples (any kind, I usually use Gala or Macintosh b/c they are my favorites)
3 celery stalks
2-3 carrots or a handful of baby carrots
1/2 cucumber
1-2 cups of spinach
1 cup kale
1/2 lemon (rind and all)
teaspoon of ginger

1. Add all ingredients except ginger to your juicer one at a time.
2.  Add ginger to finished juice and stir.
3.  Pour over ice and drink immediately for the maximum benefits (also the juice can turn an undesirable color the longer it sits do to oxidation).
4. Clean juicer immediately (this can be daunting, but done quickly once you get the hang of it).




Composting

After getting into the groove of juicing, I began to realize how much pulp I was discarding from the juicer each time I used it.   My boyfriend and I decided we should not be wasting this!  That's what brought about the idea of incorporating a compost bin in our house.  I had already expressed my desire to grow a garden in our yard this spring, and what better way to get it started then with compost from my own house.  I have seen them before, but didn't realize how easy t is to make your very own.

I came across this great site for everything you need to know to start composting on your own:
http://www2.epa.gov/recycle/composting-home

DIY Compost Bin

Growing

Another project I want to tackle this year is growing a garden.  Once all of this snow has melted and the weather warms up, I can start prepping my garden for some of my own flowers, fruits, and vegetables.  I can't wait until I am able to go pick something right out back to use in my daily cooking!  Until then, I am starting small and working on creating my own little herb garden.  I think herbs and spices completely make the meal and am always adding things to food to change up flavors.  I saw this herb garden on Pinterest and am determined to make one just like it:

DIY Shoe Organizer Herb Garden


You can visit http://www.birdsandblooms.com for directions and things will you need to make your very own.  Great blog as well!   Once I have my compost I can add in my herbs and have easy access to all the ingredients I need to make my meals delicious!  I can't wait to make it pretty and cute with the little labels like this one too!


I am looking forward to my "Green" journey ahead! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment